I was attempting to write my 2015 season predictions, but continue to struggle with how I believe the 2015 season will play out. Hey, internal struggles are tough to overcome when you have six to ten voices in your head at any one time. Plus, I find myself burdened by the fact that I pegged EXACTLY the number of wins by the Royals in 2014 and missed by ONE (1) win in 2013. That’s a lot of pressure.
Anyway, ground down by a Spring Training that was as mundane as any in recent memory (perhaps that is the byproduct of a successful prior season?) and not too fired up to even go into the renewed idea of carrying eight relievers to avoid the apparent catastrophe that losing Ryan Madson might be or, for that matter, whether the final roster spot goes to Orlando, Sierra or Merrifield (or Madson), I thought I would offer nothing to society today.
My First Week of Real Baseball Predictions:
- Alcides Escobar will attempt to bunt in his first at-bat of the season.
- We will wake up on the morning of April 13th and Yordano Ventura will lead the American League in strikeouts.
- Someone will mention Famous Daves or Dickey’s and Twitter will explode with righteous indignation.
- Alex Gordon AND Eric Hosmer will each homer twice in the first week of the season.
- Greg Holland will blow a save. (He always blows a save in the first week…always. It means nothing, but we will wonder if it means SOMETHING).
- There will be mention of a liking of some national beer and Twitter will explode in defense of Boulevard Beer.
- Omar Infante will sit out at least one game in the first week as a ‘precaution’.
- Craig will wonder why I didn’t get him tickets to Opening Day and I will respond “Get back to work, Craig.”
- Alcides Escobar will attempt to bunt for a hit, again….and bunt as a sacrifice at least twice.
- Edinson Volquez will not make it out of the fifth inning in his first start.
- The Royals will have a winning record on the morning of April 13th. NOTE: The most disappointing season in my recollection (2004) started with a 4-2 record.
- Hang on to this one, kids: Salvador Perez will NOT start one of the first six games!
- A guy who looks a lot like me will be seen playing craps at Harrah’s.
- Kendrys Morales will have at least two at-bats that make us think Salvador Perez has better plate discipline than we thought.
- Wade Davis will not allow a run. Not. One. Run.
- Kendrys Morales will hit a home run and someone on Twitter will tweet ‘I still miss Billy’.
- A guy who looks a lot like me will be seen slinking to the ATM to get more cash….again…at Harrah’s.
- Lorenzo Cain will have exactly as many hits as strikeouts during the first week. It might be a big number or it might be a small number and, no, I don’t know where this prediction is coming from.
- Yordano Ventura will hit 100 mph in the first inning on Opening Day.
Whether you like it or not, I will follow up sometime before first pitch on April 6th, with actual predictions. I want to be optimistic, but there is a ton of logic that is pulling me in the other direction. Opening Day, beer in hand, wife at my side, surrounded by 40,000 other Royals’ fans, you can bet I’ll be optimistic…if only for a day.