Yeah, it’s kind of cliche, but it’s not such a bad idea to take stock from time to time and give a little bit of thanks. Despite the continuing struggles with the Royals and despite the fact that the 2011 season is shaping up to be kind of brutal at the major league level, if you look close enough you can still find a few positives.
So with Thanksgiving just past, here’s what I’m thankful for as a Royals fan.
I’m thankful for…
- Billy Butler’s line drive ability and his proclivity for doubles. Doubles… Not double plays.
- Joakim Soria’s amazing curve ball. Described in these parts as “baseball porn.”
- Zack Greinke’s slider. Even though he got a swing and a miss on it only 18.6% of the time last summer. Compared to 2009’s swing and a miss rate of 23.4%.
- The Royals minor league system that suddenly is a source of optimism.
- This being the last season where I have to put up with watching Yuniesky Betancourt. Unless GMDM does something colossally insane, like picking up his $6 million club option for 2012.
- Redundant waiver claims (Joaquin Arias and Lance Zawadzki anyone?) because it gives me something to write about in November.
- Alex Gordon’s smooth transition to left and the fact there’s still a glimmer (however faint) that he can possibly put together a solid offensive season.
- Clint Robinson’s Texas League Triple Crown. Sure it was Double-A, but a Triple Crown is a Triple Crown. Cool that he earned a spot on the 40-man roster and a likely spot in Omaha with an eye on Kansas City next summer.
- Eric Hosmer’s swing being compared to Will Clark’s swing.
- Kila Ka’iahue.
- That someone will probably overpay Bruce Chen this winter, giving him at least a two year contract.
- The fact it won’t be with the Royals.
- Trey Hillman finding employment with the Dodgers. Is there any way to set up an alert to let me know when Don Mattingly gets ejected from games? I really want to watch Hillman manage a team I don’t care about, so I can gawk like a car crash.
- My colleagues and readers of Royals Authority. This may sound cheesy, but it’s incredibly fun to be a part of the internet community that make up the fans of this team.
Feel free to add your own thoughts in the comments. I hope you had an outstanding holiday.